Festival Of Original Music (FOOM)
Entries open: 19 June 2017
Entries close: 30 July 2017
FOOM is a song competition encouraging the writing of new material, and showcasing this material through both the release of SCALA CDs and online downloads. Each year entries come from around Australia as well as the USA, UK, Canada, New Zealand and Europe.
To download the FOOM 2017 rules CLICK HERE.
You can enter your original songs in any or all of the categories as outlined below. Please note, the same song may not be entered in more than ONE category.
To register your Festival Of Original Music (FOOM) entry click on the categories corresponding button that will take you to SongCentral who manage the entries for the FOOM songwriting competition. Good luck!
As entries for this section are for LIVE performances - it requires the entry be performed by you (or someone on your behalf) in person during one of the live heats (dates to be advised) as allocated by SCALA and, if successful, at the FOOM Live Final. Entries in this category are limited to 2 entries per person.
Demo Open Category
Recordings can be 'home recording' or 'demo' quality however, these recordings would need to be of a sufficient quality so that they can be judged audibly and clearly. There is no limit on the number of performers or instruments used on the recording. These sections will be prejudged and, subject to these conditions, the winner/s announced at the Live Performance Final.
Instrumental Open Category
Recordings can be "demo" or "studio" quality. There is no limit on the number of performers or instruments used on the recording. These sections will be prejudged and, subject to these conditions, the winner/s announced at the Live Performance Final.
Entries in the Instrumental section will not have lyrics!
Studio Open Category
Studio recordings must be owned by the copyright owner of the song who can give permission for their use by SCALA. Entries must be professionally recorded to commercial CD/radio airplay quality, unsigned and unreleased. There is no limit on the number of performers or instruments used on the recording. If uploading mp3s they can be 320kbps. This section will be prejudged. The judges will be asked to judge the quality of the recording, musicianship and presentation of the song as well as the merits of the song but the quality of the song will have greater weight. Subject to these conditions the winner/s will be announced at the Live Performance Final.
Lyrics Open Category
Lyrics must be original. This section will be prejudged and, subject to these conditions, the winner/s announced at the Live Performance Final.
Rock Music Development Award
In memory of Adelaide local Howard Kehl, drummer, songwriter and mentor, focusing on the music that Howard loved - Rock! This section will be prejudged and, subject to these conditions, the winner/s announced at the Live Performance Final.
Conditions Of Entry
2017 Festival Of Original Music (FOOM) song competition
1. The aim of the Song Competition is to encourage the writing of new material. Original Songs can be entered in any style.
2. There is no limit on the number of entries in the Studio, Demo or Lyrics sections. The same song may not be entered in more than ONE section.
3. LIVE Section entries are limited to 2 entries per person. Lyrics to be entered (no MP3s) required). See further conditions for entry to this section below.
4. Songs must be original and the entrant must sign the copyright declaration upon entry. The entrant agrees to indemnify the organisers of the competition from any copyright claims which might arise from infringement of copyright laws. Winning songwriters must also agree to enter into a specific agreement with SCALA for the recording and use of their song on CD.
5. Songs must not be previously recorded for commercial distribution or radio airplay (including independent release), offered for commercial download, published, be subject to recording or publishing agreements or have won prizes in other competitions.
Entrants must make their own arrangements (at their expense) to take advantage of any prizes won from this competition and entrants living outside South Australia or near-Metropolitan Sydney are STRONGLY advised to consider entering only the Studio Open, Studio Instrumental or Lyrics Only Sections. SCALA reserves the right to impose any conditions on recording as it sees fit.
6. Except in the Lyric Section, Songs or Music should be no more than 6 minutes long. In taking up recording and CD prizes entrants must agree to meet any costs above the value of prizes offered if completed recordings of songs are longer than 6 minutes.
7. The songwriter can nominate another person or persons to perform the song. The songwriter of a winning song is responsible for organising suitable musicians to record the song.
8. All entries will be done online via the www.songcentral.biz/scala site where recordings and lyrics can be uploaded and entry payments made online.
9. The judges are instructed to first judge the quality of the song as it's presented to them. This will include taking into account the overall presentation of the song. Judges reserve the right to not choose a winning song in a section if, in their view, there is insufficient overall quality in that section. The judges' decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into. The competition organisers reserve the right to interpret these rules as they see fit and these interpretations are final.
SCALA would like to acknowledge the kind support provided to SCALA by our sponsors. Without your help we couldn't do what we do so on behalf of all our members, thank you!
Previous FOOM Results
Each year SCALA receives hundreds of entries into the Festival Of Original Music (FOOM) songwriting competition. Scroll through the slider to view and download previous results.